The Red Thread

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle but it will never break." -Chinese Proverb

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Beijing - the Forbidden City



Family from home tells me there was a significant earthquake in Southern Qinghai. Didn't feel it or hear about it...mind you, the news is all in Chinese so maybe people are talking about it! Just got back from the Forbidden City. They really should call it Forbidden City with a Million Freakin' People and no Exits. We were trapped in there with everyone in China and couldn't bloody find a way out. Everywhere you turn more tour groups in red hats and about a million old ladies that run up to us, pull on the babies and babble at us in Chinese...then we finally found a way out (and I'm talking after a good hour of searching and walking about 10 k) and we got absolutely attacked by rickshaw drivers...they swarmed us and we literally had to run down the street away from them. Picture me with Hildy strapped to my front, Heather with Norah strapped to her front, Tom and Dad with giant diaper bags all running down the street being followed in hot pursuit by about 10 rickshaw dudes running after us....dad hailed a cab, we all jumped in and escaped with barely the diapers....It was CRAZY! We got back to the hotel, ordered pizza (best thing on the menu) and enjoyed our luke warm cokes... they may have invented gunpowder but refrigerated drinks have not yet been discovered. We are all absolutely beyond exhausted and ready to come home...except maybe the babies...they still have not yet figured out what has happened to their worlds. One more full day here (silk shopping in the am and Embassy /celebration dinner in the pm) and then pack, drive through the insanity known as Beijing traffic (hopefully we can elude the rickshaw drivers) and then onto Air Canada. I am SO looking forward to touching down in Canada, seeing everyone and being in a place that I understand and can function independently in. I am not used to being so dependent on translators, drivers, guides, etc. Almost done with paperwork... Ok, Hildy is down for a nap so I am going to join her, must rest before I collapse!

Lots of love, T and H and dad (aka the Canadian guy who has met everyone in the hotel...I'm not exaggerating)

2 comments:

  1. I think I might have already told you this but you are the best writer!! You make me laugh and it so feels like I'm right there with you! Thank you so much for taking the time to journal your journey for us! :o)

    In 48 hrs from now you should be home!! (Well at least on a plane home I think!!! lol) HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and your father as you take Hildy on the plane back to Vancouver. I am sure you'll be relieved to get her settled in her new home. What stories you can tell her when she's grown up!

    ReplyDelete