The Red Thread

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle but it will never break." -Chinese Proverb

Friday, April 9, 2010

Wuhan Day 6








Hi, Our guide had to go to the notary for us this morning and pick up documents etc and she said we didn't have to go so why don't we check out the Farmer'sMarket just down the road from our hotel...we wouldn't have to cross the street (ie: no imminent threat of death) easy to find so why not. In my head I am thinking the fresh open air farmer's markets of home...yes, I would love to go! So, we wander down the street, dad is almost killed by mopeds twice, I am almost speared by a guy on a bicycle carrying giant strips of metal something-or-other, Tom is almost run down by a van (yes, we were on the sidewalk for all of this action). Then we get to the "market"...It is three city blocks of hundreds of vendors crammed into a warehouse. There were stalls of vegetables of all kinds, live fish, turtles and chickens, meat being cleaved into chunks, you name it, they were selling it. We got into the middle of all of this and then a little old lady discovered we had Chinese babies...a crowd gathered around us about 5 people deep...it got a little crazy. All the little old ladies (most with no teeth) want to touch the babies, ask us a million questions (of course in Chinese) and call all their friends over. We had a card printed up that explained the girls were orphans, we had adopted them and were taking them home to live in Canada. I gave it to one old man, he read it and then shouted it out for all to hear...then an even bigger crowd gathered...we smiled but politely pushed through the crowd of smiles and thumbs up to get to a door...not before almost slipping on fish and other assorted items for sale. a little girl followed us through the whole market and smiled up at us... it was quite the show... We escaped down a side street (much to the stares of locals) and wound our way back to our hotel. Whew... that is the last time we venture out by foot in Wuhan. We cause quite a stir wherever we go. We are going to hide out in our hotel until Kathy comes to pick us up at 2 to go back to the civil affairs office to pick up the girls' passports and final documentation that says they are ours. WE will then start filling out the paperwork for the Embassy in Beijing, go out for a celebration dinner here then return to the hotel to pack for tomorrow's flight to Beijing. We asked Kathy if she would bring her husband and son out to dinner with us tonight. Her son is Gus's age...i really hope to meet him. Her husband is a college professor...dad would LOVE chatting to him! (That would give Kathy's poor ears a break)..Little miss got a little freaked out in the market so we came back, she had a diaper change a little play and then fell asleep mid-play in the middle of my bed... I must remember that this big city is new to her too...she has spent her whole life in a tiny little village so the constant traffic, beeping, construction, yelling etc is all overwhelming for her too. Well,must go and try to wash the smell of the market out of my hair... I don't think dad is going to eat any more chicken for the rest of the trip..... Oh how i long for the smell of the perfume department of the Bay Downtown.... I am such a lightweight. Love to you all,

Tammi, the peanut, and Papa

4 comments:

  1. Woweeeeeee!!! Tammi you are an amazing writer! I could totally feel like I was THERE with you in that market the way you described it so well! Must have scared you a bit I'm sure!

    Your trip is getting closer to the day you get to bring your baby girl HOME!! So exciting! Thanks for sharing your journey!!

    Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing about your adventures! Your daughter is adorable and makes me sad my daughter has grown up so fast. I was wondering what your guide Kathy looks like. We had a wonderful woman named Kathy too when we were in China as our guide. I would love to know she is still doing well. Have a safe trip home! Becky
    www.babygirlbennett.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The smells really got to me also while in China. Your daughter is beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing more pictures of her. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving following along..you are quite the story teller ...I felt like I was right there with you...had several experiences like that myself.

    Tammy & Meisha

    ReplyDelete